Wednesday, March 3, 2010

EMDR

Has anyone had EMDR therapy. My therapist wants to do some of these sessions with me. Ive been going to see her for a little over a yr and she says I am ready. I trust her but I'm still leary of this. She has wanted to do this for sometime now but I keep putting her off b/c I'm scared. So if anyone has any feedback.... please share with me ..postive or negative.

7 comments:

  1. I have not experienced actual EMDR but my therapist uses a method where I picture the 'bad' stuff, such as anxiety, pain, bad people, what ever. He suggests I should give it a visual aspect such as square, round, etc and maybe color, and texture, as well. Then, on his other side, I picture the way I want it all to look, such as a happy color, enjoyable texture and and shape. We discuss it and I usually am able to reach the 'good' image later with out much trouble. He said something about the brain wanting to please, so if it knows what I like, it will picture it, along with the good feeling and less anxiety, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My T is certified in EMDR and we tried it almost 3 years ago and I didn't feel "safe" enough to continue doing it.
    I have read EXCELLENT things about it though...that it can be very helpful and a good way to 'safely' process trauma.
    If you do decide to move forward with EMDR, I hoep you will share your experiences here.
    Take care - Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ivory & Grace,
    Yes I will definately share my experience here. I dont go until next week. I like you Grace....went in for it one day and totally changed my mind b/c I didnt feel safe..plus I dont think I completely trusted my T and now I do. I've got a lot of hang ups or things that are preventing me from moving forward in my T more. She thinks I am ready and its time to give it a better try. I was not in a stable enough place in my daily life b4 but now I am. So..I am going to try it this time fully and not chicken out..that is if I can when that day comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting you bring this up, and I find it, particularily now. I have heard excellent things about EMDR, but then again, that feedback has come from professionals who know I need help for my ptsd. I have studied it and I believe that theoretically it could work. No harm in trying. They do it all the time. It's not harmful, at least from what I understand. If you do it, I would love to hear how you find it. Maybe I will have the courage to go forward and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, Thanks for your response. I've read up on it a lot and I'm going to make a blog about how my session went. I dont know if I am going to do it tonight..if not it will be sometime tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done a couple of sessions with my therapist, and found them to work. Though I wasn't working through any major trauma. The most important thing is to feel safe with your therapist, and maybe work out a safe place, or a "stop" sign before you start. So that you'll feel you're in control. (which you are!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only have 5 seconds here and I want to get to know you better but this is a good bloggy friend of mine who speaks very highly of EMDR. http://dustinthedessert.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

    If you can't find specifics just ask her. She is very willing to talk about this therapy.

    Good luck and I will be back very very soon. Nice to meet you!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete