I finally had my 1st EMDR session. I went through all the way. So here is how it went for me....It started off with my T moving 2 fingers back and forth in front of eyes and I was to follow them. What this allows your brain to do is somewhat like we experience when we a dreaming or the REM state. When you dream in this part your eyes are moving back in forth in this same motion as she was doing. This allows your left brain and right brain to form a bridge so to say..this bridge allows your brain to process the things that are causing you distress. My T talked with me before that appt day..to let me know somewhat to expect. Then the day of T reassured me that she would be right there and at any time I could stop. I asked before we started how would she know when to stop? T watches for changes in breathing, facial expressions, the way your eyes move, and your body language.
So she sarted off by having me follow her finger back and forth as she moved it in front of my eyes. She stopped and asked me to tell her about any images or feelings came up. I told her about how old I was which was about 7. Before this point I had no memory of things before age 10. Then we talked about it more. I was scared but she continued on. These sets went on for about and 1 1/2.
Let me just say this 1st time was a success. It has opened my eyes so much. It has given me insight so much more than ever before. I have a better sense of appreciation for that little girl that suffered in the hands of selfish assholes..and more appreciation for the woman I am now.
Ok....Im not saying that this process wipes your memories away from you. My memories are still there. Think of it as a bridge to the other side.
I know Ive probably left out a lot of stuff..This is just to have it our there for ppl that want or need to know a little more. I will be writing about my next EMDR session in the next week.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad your EMDR session went well. I hope it continues to go well for you. I know it's still hard work. Take gentle care.
ReplyDeleteThanks Marj! Yes it is hard work..really hard but I am in this for the long haul. Even when I want to quit and run away. I still manage to pull me back together and get online. It might take me days or weeks to get me back but Im a fighter..not meaning physical just a fighter for my well being. Thanks for your support
ReplyDelete